Brown County State Park Get Away
Well, we decided to get away from Indianapolis for a night and a day. We're trying to be a little more like the Garriotts, although, what we did doesn't quite compare to riding a triple through France or parachuting off of a mountain.
After the girls got home from school and we got a bite to eat we headed south to the Abe Martin Lodge on the grounds of the Brown County State Park just outside of Nashville, Indiana. We checked in to our little cabin just a little distance from the actual "hotel" part of the lodge. We quickly changed into our bathing suits for adventures in the newly constructed aquatic center. Once we entered we immediately went for the slide. What a great way to get wet! We spent a little time in the spacious hot tub with a miniature waterfall but what Erica really loved was the slide. Lauren stuck close to Mom and Dad, I don't blame her with all those teenage boys around.
FYI In case you are interested the Indiana State Parks have very nice websites for their parks. Check it out! There are pictures of most of the parks. http://www.indianainns.com/ is a great link to get more info about their hotel accommodations.
After swimming, wading, and sliding we had worked up an appetite. We got some junk from the vending machines. YUM! We went back to our tiny cabin and got cleaned up for some games and exploring the lodge. I played Ms. Pacman! I was never an expert at it but they didn't have Centipede which used to be my favorite. We had a go at the air hockey but when Erica smashed her finger it was time to head back to our luxurious accommodations in the woods.
As much as we wanted to stay up and play we just felt we needed to get some zzzz's for the horseback riding we were planning on Saturday. As we were all settling down the ruckus began next door. When I say next door, I mean the connecting door to the guests next to us. The walls and door must have been made from extra thick paper. We could hear them talking and shouting, running and wrestling most of the night. Finally, when woken at 3:00 in the morning, I had had it. I knocked on the adjoining door and asked them to "keep it down" since it was 3:00 in the morning. We didn't really hear much trouble after that. Needless to say we were all wide awake by then, oh, except for Erica who could probably sleep through the roof falling in.
We ate a buffet breakfast at the lodge. It was very filling but we had to wait, and wait, and wait for them to get bacon made. While we ate there were hummingbirds feasting on a feeder just outside the window by our table. I just think that hummingbirds are amazing!
(Here is a picture from my brother's house where he found a hummingbird nest in his tree.)
We decided to go shopping in Nashville for the remainder of the day. We were too exhausted from lack of sleep to take a hike. Although Steve and the girls climbed the Fire Tower and we all enjoyed the view from the North Lookout. We ate lunch at Harvest Moon Pizzeria. It is a little place off the main street. It was pretty crowded for 1:30 in the afternoon. (I told you our breakfast was filling.)

1 Comments:
Thank you for sharing your life with us here in France. We look forward to seeing what you are all doing too. Sound like you had fun in Nashville, all but the people next door. Dave and I said we would have been knocking at 1p.m. You gave them two more hours that we would have. That's because you are so nice!
Miss you and love you, The Garriott's
Post a Comment
<< Home