Nails in a board
I did a children's message at church today that I thought I would share. I used a scrap board from the trash and a few nails. I hammered the nails into the board to show the effect that unkind words have on people. When we call people names or if we say something that hurts their feelings, it's like pounding a nail into their heart. Even though we say sorry, which is symbolized by the removal of the nail, the hole is still there. The words cannot be taken back. Eventually we learn to forgive and maybe even understand why people say unkind words and act badly toward others. Sometimes forgiveness and understanding help relieve us from the pain but the words or actions are usually burned into our hearts and minds, causing us to always be onguard for those who would hurt us.
There are things that were said to me as a child and have been said to me as an adult that remain in my memory. Painful words that others have said or actions done to me. These wrongs done to me have not made me perfect. I struggle with my words and actions daily. The most we can give the world is our best effort of love, peace, patience, self-control, kindness, gentleness, caring, and goodness. (The Fruits of the Spirit)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home